Monday, February 19, 2007

Banana Maple Muffins


Yes, another banana muffin recipe.

The reason? a) We still have half a comb of bananas left and b) My mother wanted more walnuts, more banana. So, clearly, the only way to solve this dilemma is to make another batch!
Fortunately, I like my muffins, partly because of the incredibly range they come in - from sweet to savoury, from fruit to chocoalte - but also because they are so versatile. Ran out of bread and cereal at home? Have a muffin to start your day! No crackers or fruit for afternoon tea? Have a muffin to tie you over! It's 10pm and the ever-hungry tummy of yours is yearning for a little nibble? Have a muffin! Not only do they come in individual servings already (saves the hassle of finding a knife) but they are incredibly easy to make to!
What interested me about this recipe from anne is the addition of cinnamon to the muffins - to me, cinnamon meant apples and apples meant cinnamon. Like the other recipe, these were really quick and easy to make. I have tweaked the recipe slightly according to taste so feel free to use the original recipe if you wish.

Initially, these muffins were just, well, another batch of muffins. But, alas, I now have a great reason for my attachment with the oven. I shall use these as an entry for Elena's brand new Muffin Monday! This would officially be my first blogging event and I really do hope to participate in many more (if my time allows me to!).

Muffin Monday

Banana Maple Muffins
Adapted from annesfood.blogspot.com


Ingredients
250g plain flour (I used 100g wholemeal flour + 150g white flour)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
75g brown sugar
300g natural yoghurt
1 large egg
3.5 tbsp maple syrup
2.5 tbsp canola oil
6 ripe finger bananas, mashed
1 additional finger banana, chopped into small pieces
200g walnut halves, divided

Method
Preheat oven to 200ْC and line 12 muffins holes with cases
Sift flour, baking powder and cinnamon in a large bowl
Mix in sugar
In another bowl, mix yoghurt, egg, maple syrup and oil
Mix in bananas and 100g chopped walnuts
Carefully combine the dry and wet ingredients and spoon into muffin cases
Sprinkle remaining unchopped walnuts on the top
Bake for 25mins or until brown and toothpick comes out clean

Compared to the recipe from the Australian Women’s Weekly, this recipe has that extra tinge of spice that although subtle, provides a nice flavour. These are a denser type of mufffin with a more bread-like consistency. Personally, I really like the hint of spice in these muffins, while my family didn't so much. I guess they still prefer the Banana Walnut Muffins . Maybe I'll combine the two the next time I have a bunch of bananas and make a batch of "Banana Walnut Spice Muffins". Intriguing...
Don't forget Elena's lovely round-up right here!

2 comments:

Elena said...

Hi Sammy,

Maple syrup! I bet they taste as good as they look! Thank you for your yummy contribution to Muffin Monday!!

Brilynn said...

Maply syrup makes everything better!