Saturday, March 3, 2007

Tim Tams - Classic Dark


I hardly eat bitcuits because they really are quite bad for you. By the time you've had enough to fill you up, you feel quite sick in the stomach and you find yourself hungry again soon after. Its not a very economical snack. But when I do nibble on some biscuits, I almost always choose Tim Tams - the pride and joy of Australia.

Tim Tams are known arguably the best chocolate biscuits around (one could even say the best biscuits around). They consist of a thick layer of chocolate cream sandwiched between two layers of chocolate biscuits that is then all dunked and smothered in a layer of chocolate. Thats three layers of chocolate, three layers of comfort - three layers of heaven. In a given supermarket, you would always find a wide range of varieties of Tim Tams - original (milk chocoltae), classic dark, double coat and caramel with more exotic ones as well like black forest and tia maria. *sigh* Tim Tams are one of the things I miss most in Australia.
The pack of "Classis Dark" Tim Tams has been lying untouched in my fridge for quite a while now so I figured that if noone was going to eat them, I will. I mean really, all the sacrifices I make. But one can can never say that they have had a Tim Tam if they haven't had a "Tim Tam Slam" as well. The procedure is really quite simple. Take a small bite out of 2 diagonally opposite corners, stick one end of the Tim Tam into a hot drink (i.e. coffee, tea, hot chocolate, or just hot milk), put the other bitten end in your mouth, and suck as if the Tim Tam were a straw. The hot liquid melts the biscuit and cream filling slowly while the chocolate coating helps keep the biscuit together. Before the biscuit disintegrates into a clumpy mess in your drink, eat it! Trust me on this - it is amazing.
Although Tim Tams are not a rarity in Singapore's supermarkets, the only ones they stock are the Original and maybe the Double Coat variety. Well, it just looks like the next time I find time to make a trip to Sydney, I'm going to have to load up!

1 comment:

Brilynn said...

I miss Tim Tams too! And the slam is the best ever.